Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Anniversary, the Fourth One

Hardrangar Fjord, Norway
Hardrangar Fjord, Norway
I started this blog in February of 2013. What an experience it has been!


I've put my slide collection to work, which was very satisfying. And now I have quite a list of plants for which I want to get photographs, or better photographs.

cholla
Cholla, lots of nasty spines. Very old photo, the surrounding plants
weren't really blue. 
Likewise, books in my library lost their dust as I checked on plant after plant, for names, folklore, history, botany, whatever interesting things I could find.

Its been ever so much fun. I hope to be saying the same four years from now.

Here are some photos that make me smile

spring snow in the Colorado foothills
spring snow in the Colorado foothills

bee pollinating golden banner
bee pollinating golden banner, Colorado Rocky Mountains
iris bed in Japan
Iris bed in Japan. 
hillside, Baja California
Hillside, Baja California
Those strange twisty things are quite healthy, just waiting
for rain.
Pali, Hawaii
Pali (cliff), on the Big Island, Hawaii
Big, recent lava flows and plants that survived them (so far).
What to say on an anniversary?

I have saved good quotes all my life. My life keeps changing, but they surprise me by applying to the new conditions:

"I don't mind you thinking slowly, I mind you publishing faster than you think." -W. Pauli.

"Most creative people are untidy. It is usually a dull man whose room and desk are models of neatness." -A.S.Neill

"The botany professor gave his young colleague just one piece of advice: "When you go on a field trips, my boy, always remember to walk well in front of your students, so that you can tramp on any specimens you don't recognize." -Julie Nehon, in Reader's Digest, probably before 1970.

"Results! Why man, I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won't work." -Edison.

"There is only one success--to be able to spend your life in your own way." - Christopher Marley

This blog is very much a success: I spend a lot of time on it and have a wonderful time.

Thank you for reading!

Kathy Keeler, A Wandering Botanist

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations, Kathleen! You're an inspiration. Loving flowers is such a wonderful way to live life. Here's another quote for your collection, from Iris Murdoch: People from a planet without flowers would think we must be mad with joy the whole time to have such things about us.

    ReplyDelete