Sunday, January 31, 2021

Travel Story--Along Mediterranean in northern Italy

 This is a post reminiscing. We aren't traveling to Europe for a while yet. One of the places I have not adequately explored is the Mediterranean Sea. Here are photos from a trip that took me there, scentic views of the Cinque Terra area in Italy. I would certainly like to go back and to see more. That has always been my philosophy; I don't need to gobble up this experience because I can come back for the parts I missed. A year of closed international borders puts more than the usual doubt into that statement. But one of my favorite memories of Italy was taking train past Monterossa, oogling the beach, and saying, "I'd love to come back to stay on the beach here and walk the Cinque Terra at my leisure."  It hasn't happened yet, but this photo essay reminds me of that plan.

Looking out at the Mediterranean
the Mediterranean Sea

This is western Italy, near La Spezia, in 2011. You can hike broad paths up and over the coastal hills, then down to Porto Venere. There are intermittent, spectacular views of the Mediterranean Sea. 

Panoramic Mediterranean view


Glipses of the Mediterranean

There were wild landscapes in which you can imagine encountering a satyr.

Western Italy

But towns and cities cling to the coast, too, amazing in their colorful houses.

Porto Venere, Italy
Porto Venere

Night brought a different  look, equally romantic.


Seaside trail into the Cinque Terre

There were paths everywhere. A hiker could easily wander through a day of wonderful sights. And, because of the trains connecting all the little towns (something I never though of, planning the trip), you could easily decide you'd had enough walking for the day and take the next train to the hotel.

Nestled among the hills were swimming beaches, ever so alluring on a sunny summer day.

Beach at San Fruttuoso
Beach at San Fruttuoso

Actually, the pretty beach was gravel. But the water was lovely.

Gravel beach at San Fruttuoso
Gravel beach at San Fruttuoso

I kept taking pictures of the coastline. Close up, those were typical Italian trees and shrubs. I could name only one or two, but recognized them as "not familiar." One reason to travel (for me) is to see new plant communities. 

Mediterranean Coast

On a cloudy day, the Sea was not as blue, but the landscapes were pretty nevertheless.

Mediterranean in Italy, cloudy day

And on a nice summer night, in a little coastal town, you can wander along the Mediterranean Sea, the moon casting reflections on the water.

moon over Mediterranean

A beautiful place! 

Comments and corrections welcome. 

Kathy Keeler, A Wandering Botanist
More at awanderingbotanist.com
Join me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AWanderingBotanist

No comments:

Post a Comment